Below is a tear-down of job description of Full Stack Engineer at Airbnb (from LinkedIn).
Here’s our take.
Software Engineering At Airbnb : There is much more that we want to build and so much that we could improve. We value strong engineers who are agile enough to jump into most projects. What are examples of work that Software Engineers have done at Airbnb?
[Recruitring] Brilliant! This strikingly stands out! A software engineer looking for her next opportunity can read the below and see if they seem fit for the role. It's such an easy way to self-evaluate. - Do I connect with what my peers are doing here? - Does the work seem challenging and also satisfies my passion for technology? - Will I blend in to become one of them or be left alone? There is no better way to attract the similar minded people.
- Our payments platform transmits billions of dollars in dozens of different currencies among over 100 countries. By integrating new partners, we can both optimize our costs and grow our business by better supporting different countries.
[Recruitring] Gives a perspective of scale. Quantify as much as you can. Instead of using superlatives, it's better to say things as absolute numbers.
- We re-built the List Your Space flow. We A/B tested every change carefully and within three months doubled the conversion rate.
[Recruitring] Not only it tells how things are done at AirBnB but also highlights that results are important. Any data driven engineer will be wowed and attracted towards this team.
- We created Neighborhoods, a product that answers the question of which parts of a city have desirable Airbnb listings for you. We built systems that allowed writers, translators, and photographers all over the world to collaborate on bringing cities to life. Read more.
- When Hurricane Sandy struck, we partnered with the City of New York to quickly create a platform for New Yorkers to provide free housing to those who were displaced by the storm.
[Recruitring] Such a sincere way to share what the company stands for. This statement above tells the candidate that they can expect the company to stand by them in times of crisis - and Airbnb is mere not looking for another living thing who knows to code - but a person who can be part of the company culture.
The following are some examples of profiles that are relevant to us:
- Minimum of 2 years of industry experience in engineering.
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Engineers who have experience with web best practices such as A/B testing, test coverage.
- We are currently not interviewing anyone with less than 2 years of industry experience for this role. Our new graduate requisition will be re-opened in the fall.
[Recruitring] In few bullets letting know for the core skills. There is no NICE-TO-HAVE. We are looking for A,B,C. But what also is amazing to see "We are currently not interviewing ... " - being honest for all those folks who do not qualify that they need not apply right now.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…
[Recruitring] The rest of the items in the listicle above are attractive. However, this one item stands out for a talent who is looking for world beyond their standing desk. They want few evenings where they can get together and discuss tech. Learn from others - probably beyond Airbnb Engineering. Good to highlight such events, activities in Job description to showcase life beyond 9-5.
[Recruitring] Not sure why "Much more ..." is part of this list. Probably the person who wrote this was at their best until writing "Much More" :).
Overall, we feel this is a very unique and well written job description. Highly recommend other recruiters to get some inspiration from Airbnb Job Descriptions.
Would love your feedback.